(Photo credit: Rev Dan Catt)
MAGICJACK HELPS YOU CUT WAY DOWN ON YOUR LANDLINE PHONE BILL!
- Magic Jack: lets you use your computer for phone service
- MagicJack Plus: does not need to be plugged into a computer for it to work. However, you *do* need a broadband (high speed)connection to set it up to connect to your wireless network as the Magic Jack+ needs to be fully registered on a computer connected to the Internet. Once registered and you have a dial tone and made a test call then you unplug from the USB port and plug into the modem/router via the Ethernet port. The phone/base remains plugged into the Magic Jack. This shows exactly how it looks to set it up…and has a little more info so check it out.
Magic Jack Plus allows you to:
- take your local phone with you when you travel, so you have the same phone number and allowing you to converse just like you are at home. Use it wherever you have access to Ethernet service–a relatives house, a hotel, your summer cottage, or out of the country in Mexico, Japan, Canada, Ireland etc).
- keep your existing home number. (There is a one time fee of $19.95 to “port ” (keep the number) and it takes up to 10 business days according to Magic Jack. (http://www.magicjack.com/5/faq NOTE: it’s important that you do not cancel service to your old phone company until the number is ported over . This is because your most recent service provider’s records will show that you do not currently own the number as the account associated with it was canceled, thus you have no rights to do anything with it.)
- use it with cordless phones.
- use Magic Jack for long distance calls, and then take the Magic Jack phone when traveling to keep in touch with family/friends no matter where you go in the world.
FURTHER: Some have been porting both their cell and home phone using 2 MagicJack Plus. There is also a hidden call forwarding feature that works great so they forward all home/cell calls to their Google voice number. What that means is that no matter which number people dial, they can get reach them. Google voice transcribes each call to text, and issues an email. Google voice numbers are free, plus even if you have land line service, you can make long distance voice calls for FREE! (It doesn’t save your cell minutes, but it does save battery life on your cell phone while making it more convenient as you only need to have one physical phone next to you at home!)
911 Emergency Services is different than 911 service offered on traditional phone lines. It is subject to the limitations of the 911 emergency response system where your registered address is located. 911 Emergency Services:
- WILL NOT function if the MagicJack is damaged or disabled.
- WILL NOT work during a power disruption or internet outage. In other words you won’t have a phone connection during a power or internet outage, if you are only using the Magic Jack. This may be fine for you if you also carry a cell phone, but I would not recommend it without a cell phone. You should maintain an alternate means of dialing 911 (cell phone) and make sure other users of your MagicJack know this.
- requires activation on your part. You must activate 911 Emergency Service at the time of registration by registering your current service address. (Be sure to update your registered address if you use your MagicJack+ from another location.)
IF YOU ARE ALSO LOOKING AT BUYING A NEW PHONE (WHICH YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO):
VTech offers bundles of their phone + the Magic Jack / Magic Jack Plus. A few months ago it was a huge savings over buying them separately.Plus, some of their phone systems offer Connect to Cell – meaning you can use their physical phone to make and receive calls from your cell line. It doesn’t save your cell minutes, but it does save battery life on the cell phone, and makes it more convenient – you only need to have one physical phone next to you at home.
P.S. Some worry that their ISP might provide too slow of a connection for it to work…..Well, we were told by users that if Netflix will stream with no issues, you should have no problem with MagicJack.
Tulsa OK, Owasso, Sand Springs, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Drumright, Kellyville, Oklahoma, Sperry, Prue, Mannford, AT&T, Vonage