In documented use for over 2,500 years, lavender is one of the world’s favorite all time herbs, used for medicinal purposes and enjoyed by both men and women for its fresh scent.
In France, which has replaced Britain as the world leader of the lavender trade, lavender is a useful, everyday ingredient in dish soap, detergent and household cleaners.
In the U.S. lavender interest has surged nationwide in the past few years with the fragrance becoming fashionable again. Downy fabric softener has a lavender and vanilla fragrance and dial soap has a new lavender fragrance.
Many vineyards around the world, now grow lavender as a beautiful and extremely profitable vineyard companion. Aside from the economic boost and agriculture diversity lavender offers, lavender farms also create secondary jobs, in tourism, retail and manufacturing while increasing income for businesses providing the farms with supplies.
A thriving agri-tourism centered around lavender, visitors come to the area to see lavender in bloom providing a spectacular purple show. Visitors spend money both at the lavender farms and around the area for things such as gasoline, lodging, meals. With more people needed to work to serve the tourists the more jobs it creates. Some growers assure us that anyone can grow lavender. Tourism affects every person and every business in an area. Businesses centered around lavender include:
- Crafts by local artisans using lavender from the farms.
- tea rooms
- bed and breakfast
- open gardens
- lavender festivals
- gift shops
Ways that Lavender is used:
- Bath/Relaxation – Walking down a lavender path inhaling the scented air has a calming effect.
- Food/Cooking – Culinary elite love adding it to many of their favorite recipes.
- Medicine/Healing -used for centuries and still in use today
- Body and Cosmetics –perfume in many of our body products. Trendy spa patrons rave about lavender, helping to make it one of the top 10 aromatherapy oils.
- Crafts – decorating the home
- Brides – bouquets, wrapped gifts and luncheon tables
- Aphrodisiac -seduction and romance.
- Around the house -In the home and garden room
- Pests -Repel mice, moths and deter crawling insects
- Pillows made from lavender
Check to see if any of the Vineyards in Oklahoma also have a lavender farm nearby.