I got this out of the Nov 1983 Glamour magazine. (They were selling for $20-$25 a pound back then.) They are rich!
- 2 – 8oz packages of semisweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 c. heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 to 2 T. brandy (optional)
- Coarsely grated semisweet chocolate.
Grate 4 squares chocolate on coarse grater. In top of double boiler, over hot, not boiling water, melt remaining 12 squares of chocolate and cream. Stir to blend. Cool to just above room temperature (about 90F), then whisk in butter and yolks. Stir in brandy. Cover, with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-4 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls. Roll into 1″ balls (mixture will be sticky if the kitchen or weather is warm, but don’t worry, truffles will firm up as they set) and place on baking sheets or a jelly-roll pan lined with wax paper. Cover loosely and chill if necessary, then roll each truffle in grated chocolate. Keep about 10 days in a dry, cool place. Makes approx. 2 dozen truffles.
- Roll in cocoa or in finely crushed soronna chips
- cherry pieces, sprinkled through center and chocolate sprinkles on the outside
- Toffee chips in the center and rolled in roasted almonds on the outside.
- Grand Marnier in the center and then rolled in finely slivered almonds.
- A tiny bit of orange extract.
- Finely chopped hazlenuts or walnuts in the middle.
TRUFFLES ( FROM CARNATION EVAPORATED MILK RECIPE)
- 1/2 c. undiluted Carnation Evaporated milk
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 11 1/2 oz pkg (2 cups) Nestle Milk Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 to 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 c. finely chopped almonds, toasted
Combine evaporated milk and sugar in small heavy-gauge saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Boil 3 minutes; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in morsels and almond extract until morsels melt and mixture is smooth. Chill 45 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in almods. Chill until ready to serve. Makes aobut 2 1/2 dozen truffles.
REALLY EASY TRUFFLE RECIPE
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 pkg (8 squares) Bakers Semi- Sweet Bakers Chocolate
These wonderful sweets make a rich candy that many people enjoy.