Many state universities and colleges waive tuition on credit-earning courses for residents 60 and older who meet certain requirements.
Oklahoma offers state-authorized tuition waivers as well as discounts to senior citizens wishing to educate themselves at its public colleges and universities. However, be sure to discuss your needs and goals with the admissions department of the institution you desire to attend. (Audit a class for free age 65 and over.)
- Ask your tax advisor about Uncle Sam’s $10,000 lifetime senior citizen deduction for higher education!
- Learn just about anything on Youtube
- World Class Universities and Colleges offer free courses
Johns Hopkins, University of Notre Dame and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, post course material and lectures on their Web sites. You won’t get credit toward a degree, but you can pursue an interest, sharpen your skills or even learn a language. (Update: Something new: MIT for Free and Take Harvard and MIT Classes for Free at www.edx.org
- Free college courses (Clark Howard)
Go to college for free if you are over 50.
- Find free courses offered by hundreds of schools and available to folks of any age at
- khanacademy.org offers thousands of free video lectures on subjects ranging form school-age math (free tutoring!) to college level engineering.
- duolingo.com turns learning a language such as French or Japanese or Swahili or Esperanto into a game.
- class-central.com for whatever knowledge you seek; it will pair you with online college courses from institutions such as Harvard, Stanford and MIT.
- Baby Boomers Going Back to School
FOREIGN-LANGUAGE LESSONS (Free)
- ~FSI-language-courses.org, access courses developed by the U.S. Foreign Service Institute in 41 languages.
- ~ Openculture.com/freelanguagelessons– several free language lessons that you can download to your MP3 player.
- ~MangoLanguages.com to see whether your public library grants you free access to its courses in 22 foreign languages and 14 courses in English as a second language.
To find scholarships….scroll down and read the comments.
College education, Classes, University, Universities, School