Does This Unclaimed Property or Money Belong to You?

An assortment of United States coins, includin...

An assortment of United States coins, including quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

It costs you nothing to retrieve what is rightfully yours!! Click on the links and type in your name.

HINT: After checking the normal way in the box where the last name goes

  1.  use the word Trust or Estate or Est along with the town  your family member lived in. (This is because  lots of  property is titled as Trust of John Q. Person or Estate of Jane Q. Person or Est of Mary C. Person.)
  2. type in your first name or the first name of the deceased person and the city (and/or state)

All organizations are required to report to their state’s  Unclaimed Property division any funds unclaimed by their clients, customers, or employees. There are hundreds of thousands of current and former residents’ belongings, known as unclaimed property.

The unclaimed property can be cash, jewelry, stamps and the physical assets of abandoned safe deposit boxes, any of which may have belonged to you at one time — or to a parent or relative — that now can be claimed by you. Common items that have accumulated through the years include uncashed checks, customer credits, inactive (dormant)  accounts once held by banks and savings and loans, unapplied deposits from utility companies, insurance companies (old insurance policy that the family knew nothing about), securities and trust holdings, hospital bill refunds,  unclaimed rebate checks, Insurance proceeds, stocks, bonds and mutual funds, safe deposit box contents, uncashed checks, such as payroll, insurance payments, or travelers checks and many other sources.
Unclaimed property does not include real estate, vehicles, and most other physical property.

If your name pops up on the unclaimed property databases, all you have to do is fill out a form, answer questions and provide proof of your identity and claim. The process can be fast, easy and cost-free. Avoid anyone or any site that wants you to pay  to collect your own money!

Not all states are represented in the above. Look by the individual  state (below). There are forms there to download to get your money at no charge.   (If the person listed is a deceased relative or friend, only the rightful heir can claim this item. States require  legal documents to be submitted for verification; examples include a will and death certificate.)

To see whether you own a Series E bond

  • purchased after 1973-visit and type your Social Security number into the Treasury Hunt function.
  • a bond issued before 1974- confirmation is a lot more difficult. Records linking older bonds with their owners are maintained on microfilm, which can only be searched manually by Bureau of Public Debt personnel.

Researchers will conduct records searches for anyone who asks. Information like names, addresses, dates of purchase, and Social Security numbers can lead to successful claims, but the process is slow and hardly foolproof.

The government wants people to cash in their bonds.  The problem is that people die and leave the bonds in books, in holes in basement walls, in the attic. Nobody knows they exist.

This entry was posted in Money Found. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Does This Unclaimed Property or Money Belong to You?

  1. D. says:

    It might not come up under your last name because it might have been misspelled. (Maybe a letter was left out. So check for misspellings.)

    Other ways to search include-

    ~ when you check your last name don’t choose a city- just put in your last name and the state

    Next, put one of the following words in the last name field along with your city.
    ~ Assoc
    ~ Assn
    ~ Association
    ~ Family (yes, as the last name)
    ~ Invest
    ~ Investment
    ~ Rev
    ~ Revocable
    ~ The —–Yes, seriously put simply THE in the last name box, then chooseyour city.
    ~ Trust
    ~ TRST
    ~ TTE
    ~ Trustee
    ~ Trustees (such as you would find in Trustees of First Indian Baptist Church)
    ~ Trustor
    ~ Tr
    ~ TRT
    ~ Truste
    ~ Unidentified
    ~ UA
    ~ A (and then each letter of the alphabet) with the city and state
    ~ also, try just your first name in the last name field
    ~ a person’s three initials in the last name field

  2. Linda says:

    To give you some more examples of how to check here is some money found in Oklahoma:

    ~ Harrison Estate Wilma (If it was an estate check by last name with the word estate and then the first name)
    ~ James Dean Gregg Rev Tr (If it is a trust check by first name)
    ~ Keith Shadden (See why you need to put the first name in the last name field?)
    ~ Estate of Lillian V. Capeheart (Check by using the word Estate and they then the person’s first name)
    ~ Henry Joy A Revocable Trust (Last name looks like a first name.)
    ~ Sablan Terina as parent (If it is in a parents name check by first name of parent, followed by last)
    ~ The Vickery Family Trust (Check by the word The in the last name field as some Trusts have that for the first word.)
    ~ JC (Use your first and middle initial jammed together, in the last name field.
    ~ Put the name of your city in the last name field. (Example: Drumright) Even if it isn’t yours, it is a lot of fun to see money on there that you tell the rightful owners about.)
    ~ Did you ever have a business? If so try that name.+

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s