Help us build a list of places that are collecting toys and more for the needy in and around the Tulsa area.
Angel Tree– Tulsa Promenade or Woodland Hills Mall Through Wednesday, December 12, 2012.
Angel Tree Stats for 2012: 8,570 children names on the Angel trees, and 591 Elder Angels.
The 4,200 Angel Tree families will receive food baskets with fresh fruit, milk, eggs and canned goods, when they come to pick up the Angels gifts. When a family signs up for the Angel Tree program, not only do the children receive toys, the whole family receives a half of a carload of food called ” a food basket” The food includes fresh dairy and produce as well as a full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings. It’s enough food to feed a family of four for two weeks! The families usually hear about the program from a social service agency where they are already receiving assistance.
Sponsors: Each year, sponsors ranging from neighborhood associations to private companies volunteer to place “Angel Trees” in high-traffic areas within their community, organization or office. Salvation Army will collect the gifts for distribution along with food and meals to help needy families enjoy the holiday season.Read more here: Angel Tree on k955fm.com
In 2010 3500 families in the Tulsa area had children who had a wish list on the Angel Tree, with 7,000 kids as this Letter to the Editor from Salvation Army Tulsa area commander shows: When I wake up this Christmas morning, I will be blessed with the vision of a child from a needy family opening his toy. Every Christmas I think, “Without the Salvation Army, he may not have had anything to open. And Tulsa, without you, we could not have provided a toy for that child or the 6,999 other children who opened gifts on Christmas morning.)
Now,check out these adorable kids: Angel Tree Gives Homeless Tulsa Family Christmas Joy – KOTV.com A Parent of some children who received…..”It makes me happy because they got everything they wanted.”)
TOY RUNS, DRIVES AND COLLECTIONS IN AND AROUND TULSA, OKLAHOMA:
- Cimarron Valley Toy Run. Oklahoma’s Longest and Fastest Toy Run and Pawnee County’s Original Toy Run. Saturday Nov. 6, 2012, Line Up is at Noon, at the new Cleveland Wal-Mart, Leave @ 1:00pm Ride, Drive, or Run to Pawnee D.H.S. To deliver New Unwrapped Toys For the Needy Children 24th Annual
- Depew Oklahoma Toy Run November 10, 2012 Downtown Depew, OK, USA. Come out and ride with us for the kids!
- Hannah Christian and Cassidy Rotramel Memorial Toy Run ~Sponsored by The Salvation Army and Tulsa Community College November 10, 2012 Tulsa, Oklahoma 3rd AnnualThe toy run starts at TCC West Campus, 7505 W 41st Street South in Tulsa. Registration is from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and the motorcycles go out at 12:30 pm. The ride will be collecting toys for the Sand Springs area Salvation Army and the TCC West Campus, Angel Tree. This is a way to honor Hannah and Cassidy and to keep their memory alive. For more information call (918) 855-4240, click here to send e-mail, or go to http://www.facebook.com/2AngelsToyRun.
- Good Wheel Riders Toy Run November 11, 2012 Catoosa, Oklahoma The toy run starts at Rogers Point Park in Catoosa. Line up begins at 12:00 pm and the motorcycles leave at 2:00 pm. Please bring an unwrapped toy and non-perishable food items. The ride ends with food, door prizes, and 50/50 drawing. All toys and food will be donated to the Catoosa Angel Tree. For more information call (918) 282-3417,
- Guts Church Toy Run | Saturday, November 17th at 11am On Saturday, the Guts Church Motorcycle Club will be hosting a Toy Run to benefit the Guts Church Distribution Center and local families in need. The ride will begin at the Guts Church Distribution Center in Tulsa, OK. Entry to the ride is a nice toy (no stuffed animals, please) or some canned goods.
- Three Rivers Toy Run, Curt’s Mall @ noon, Muskogee, OK Nov. 18
- Three Sands Toy Run, 9:30am, Lowes, Ponca City, Ok Nov. 24
- Lakes Area Toy Run, American Legion, Pryor, Ok Nov. 24
- Camp Victory Toy Run To benefit the Mannford Angel Tree and local children affected by wildfires in the area. 4001 S Hwy 97, Sand Springs, OK Open to all motorcycles, hot rods, classic cars, and customs.Ride leaves out at11:00 and ends in Mannford, OK with free chili and cornbread.No entry fee – Bring a new, unwrapped toy Bryan 918-865-7402 December 1
- Cosmo’s 3rd Ever Toy Run December 1, 2012 12:00 Forman Harley-Davidson 3512 S. Boomer Road, Stillwater, OK, 74074, United States 405) 377-0045
- Dec 2, 2012 – Tulsa Toy Run – Tulsa, Oklahoma Sponsored by Tulsa Dream Center and Tulsa Big Wheels Motorcycle & Car Club The toy run starts at 400 N. Greenwood in Tulsa. The bikes will leave at 2:00 pm. The fee is a new unwrapped toy. The run ends with food. For more information call (918) 313-1521.
- Camp Victory Toy Run, Tractor Supply, Sand Springs, ride fee is a new, unwrapped toy, (918) 865-7402, e-mail: email@example.com Dec. 3:
- 5Cs Toy Run, 1st Assembly Church of God, Tahlequah, OK, (918) 458-1469, firstname.lastname@example.org Dec. 4:
- Rolling Thunder Annual Toy Run Broken Arrow, Oklahoma December 8, 2012 Sponsored by Rolling Thunder Ok 1 The toy run starts at Blue Bell Creameries, 81st and Hwy 51 in Broken Arrow. Registration begins at 10:30 am and the motorcycles leave at 11:30 am. Please bring unwrapped new toys. The bikes will open the Coweta Christmas Parade. The run ends in Coweta with homemade soup and cornbread. For more information call (918) 486-7770, or click here to send e-mail
- Smoke Eaters Toy Run 12th Annual December 8, 2012 Kellyville, Oklahoma Sponsored by Kellyville Volunteer Fire Dept. The toy run starts at Simple Simonon Pizza on Route 66 in Kellyville. Registration begins at 10:00 am and the motorcycles go out at 11:00 am. The motorcycles will be leading the Kellyville Christmas Parade with the toy run. The ride is approximately 4 miles and ends with coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, and door prize drawings for participants. The ride will be benefitting the children of the Kellyville area.
- Okmulgee’s 1st Annual Christmas Toy Run December 8, 2012 Okmulgee, Oklahoma Sponsored by Salvation Army and Crosstown Pentecostal Church. The toy run starts at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 1800 South Wood Dr. in Okmulgee. Line up begins at 11:00 am and the motorcycles leave at 12:00 pm. The ride fee is an unwrapped gifts for kids of all ages. The ride ends with food and refreshments. For more information call Marianne Payne at (918) 759-8946.
- Olive Toy Run December 15, 2012 Cushing, Oklahoma Sponsored by Olive Baptist Church The ride stats at the Cushing Wal-Mart Parking Lot. Motorcycles go out at 11:00 am. The ride will benefit Olive, Mannford and Drumright area children. For more information call (918) 770-5257 or click here to send e-mail.
- Tulsa Toy Run Sponsored by Tulsa Dream Center and Tulsa Big Wheels Motorcycle & Car Club http://www.lets-ride.com/event/Tulsa-Toy-Run.Tulsa-Oklahoma.30479.htm
- Bring Good Cheer Toy Drive ORU Students & Faculty – Donated 1,270 toys and canned foods through their 5th Annual Bring Good Cheer Toy Drive
- Tulsa Ballet Toy Drive for the Salvation Army. Take a toy by the Tulsa Ballet building – located at 1212 E 45th Place South (near 45th & Peoria), to get $5 off a ticket to the Nutcracker. http://salarmytulsa.blogspot.com/2012/12/ring-bell-bring-toy-get-deal-on.html
- Dilly Deli Tulsa’s toy drive Take your donation in to Dilly Deli today to benefit The Salvation Army Tulsa, OK! and they will give you a free cup of soup or side item!
- 2012 #Tweet4Toys Tweetup a toy drive sponsored by Social Media Tulsa #SMTulsa (@SocMediaTulsa) benefiting The Salvation Army in Tulsa (@SalArmyTulsa) by collecting toys for Tulsa’s forgotten angels.(nice!!)
- Tulsa’s Incredible Pizza Company toy drive November 26 : Donate a toy and get a $5 game card! Incredible Pizza Toy Drive: Benefit The Salvation Army
- Tulsa Bark Park Toy Drive 2012 ~Benefitting the Tulsa Area Salvation Army December 8, 2012 on KTUL in 2011: http://www.ktul.com/video?clipId=6502665&autostart=true
- Walmart’s “Fill the Truck” toy drive for the Salvation Army event Saturday, December 8, 2012 allows Walmart customers to donate new toys and coats for children who take part in Salvation Army programs year-round. Once the donation truck or bin is full, the gifts will be distributed to those children.
- Big Mad Morning Show Toy Drive Dec 13 and 14, 2012 we stay on the air for 28 hours…inside the Tulsa Event Center to collect toys for the Marine’s Toys for Tots…bring a new unwrapped toy, http://www.kmod.com/pages/bmmstoydrive.html
- Feed the Needy’ food, toy drive set Sunday December 9, 2012 The Christian Ministers Alliance’s annual “Feed the Needy” service will be held at 6 p.m. Sunday at Greater Progressive Baptist Church, 1970 N. Boston Place. The service will collect money, toys and food for the annual Christmas Giveaway Dec. 20 at Booker T. Washington High School. The Christian Ministers Alliance has adopted 60 public schools and will provide each with 25 food baskets. Group in desperate need of toy donations
- Neighbors Along the Line Toy Drive
- Southern Cruisers Riding Club, Chapter 563, toy drive to benefit sick children at The Children’s Hospital of St. Francis in Tulsa and also the Gospel Rescue Mission of Muskogee. The group will accept donations of toys in front of Walmart. http://muskogeephoenix.com/features/x1332333153/Cycle-group-starts-toy-drive
- Bank of Oklahoma Toy Drive http://www.facebook.com/events/201880943281507/ thirteenth year of partnering with KTUL Tulsa’s Channel 8 to collect toys for Tulsa area families in need through the annual Salvation Army Toy Drive. New, unwrapped toys can be dropped off at any area Bank of Oklahoma location Nov. 15 through Dec. 12 for infants and children through 12 years of age. Drop off locations: Tulsa, Bixby,Broken Arrow, Jenks,Owasso, Sand Springs,Sapulpa, Catoosa For Bank of Oklahoma drop off locations and more, visit https://www.bankofoklahoma.com/en/Other/landing/Toy_Drive/index.page
- Tulsa police toy drive drop off new unwrapped toys to the Riverside Division of the Tulsa Police Department, 7515 Riverside Drive. Officers are also accepting names of children under 12 years of age who are in need of a toy for Christmas. Deadline for name submission is December 19th Read more here and here (others help provide the gifts to some of the children identified by police officers when they go out on calls when parents call and ask for help, or neighbors report a need. The toys are distributed by the officers in the days before Christmas.)
- Broken Arrow neighbors Toy Drive | Facebook
- Text JOY BOK to 85944 to make a one-time donation of $10 towards toys. The charge will show on the user’s mobile bill.
- Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic Christmas Toy and Clothing Drive. Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic is hosting a Christmas Toy and Clothing Drive in partnership with John 3:16. Any new or existing patient who brings in a Toy or Clothing item on December 10-12, 2012 for the Christmas Toy/Clothing Drive will receive 50% off their “out of pocket cost” (1 time discount per patient). Every patient who brings in a Toy or Clothing item will also be entered into a drawing to win a Christmas Gift package from Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic. 6922 South Lewis Ave Tulsa, OK 74136 Call 918-935-3432 for questions/details. (items requested by john 3:16 are hoodies and jewelry for teens). Monday, December 10, 2012 – Wednesday, December 12, 2012. 6922 S. Lewis Ave Tulsa, OK 74136.
- The Church at BattleCreek, The U.S. Marines, KXOJ, and TTCU are partnering together to distribute toys and gifts to more than 6,000 children. http://www.tcabc.com/store/toysfortots.htm
- KC and the Sunshine Band Toy Drive December 14, 2012 The Joint inside the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tulsa, http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=269&articleid=20121213_269_WK30_CUTLIN829254
- Christ Family Church ~ Silent Lambs Christmas Toy Drive. Bring a Christmas Toy and receive admission for $2.00!
- More Salvation Army TOY DRIVE locations include: all 3 Merritt’s Bakery locations, Miss Jackson’s in Utica Square Tulsa Oilers, Regal Cars, Air Power Systems.
- JC Penney – When shoppers check out to pay for their gifts, they’re asked if they want to give their change to the Salvation Army to help with our programs.
- Salvation Army Tulsa blog says: “I’ve been receiving endless amounts of phone calls from people wanting to donate anything from $25 to $2,500. There’s also an abundance of companies and groups wanting to do their part to help.”
- Fill the Firehouse food and toy drive – a cooperative effort between the food bank, Toys for Tots and the Tulsa Fire Department to make all fire stations drop off points for food and toys during the holiday season http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=667&articleid=20121128_667_0_Newuno179939
- The Salvation Army Christmas Joy Center https://foursquare.com/v/the-salvation-army-christmas-joy-center/4d06bccf8620224b0cbcb440
The Christmas Luncheon and Fashion Show hosted by the Salvation Army Women’s Auxiliary celebrating it’s 60th year features a huge silent auction, live auction and fashions by Miss Jackson’s. All proceeds benefit Salvation Army facilities in the Tulsa area. Dec 4 , 2012 http://www.tulsaconvention.com/events/detail/salvation-army-womens-auxiliary-of-tulsa-60th-step-into-christmas-luncheon-fashion-show
“TOYS FOR TOTS” TOY RUNS, CRUISES AND DROP-OFF LOCATIONS
- ABATE Toys for Tots Toy Run December 9, 2012 2 p.m. Fairgrounds (15th & New Haven) to Blue Dome District (2nd & Elgin) Anticipated Attendance: 10,000+ Contact: Dona Harrold @ 918-636-1136 http://www.abateoftulsa.org In 2011 33,750 toys from this run which benefited U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program were donated to more than 23,000 families. “One of the worst things as a kid is not to get what you want for Christmas…..” Toys for Tots, which gives to families who receive government assistance, attempts to give at least two or three toys to every family and child. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20121210_11_A1_ULNSvo202831&allcom=1 Each biker is expected to bring at least one unwrapped gift (many bring more), resulting in thousands of toys being collected and given to children in need. Past donations have included bicycles, games, sporting goods, dolls and gift cards, organizers have said.
- Toys for Tots Toy Cruise December 8, 2012 11:30 a.m. 101st & Memorial (Target) to 31st & Memorial (Jim Glover) Jim Glover Chevrolet Contact Jared Glover @ 918-691-5710 http://www.jimgloverchevy.com
- QT is a Toys for Tots drop-off location. You can leave new, unwrapped toy donations at any QuikTrip store! QuikTrip Corporation donates the tons of toys employees and customers collectfor their annual Toys for Tots drive.(Just look at what a wonderful thing QT customers and employees did in 2009: Full story: News on 6 Tulsa
- See all the Toy’s for Tots locations in Oklahoma
- Toys for Tots ride in North Tulsa is set for Dec. 15 – Tulsa World About 200 horse riders from more than half a dozen area round-up, and other horse-riding clubs are expected to participate. The ride will end at the North Mabee Boys and Girls Club at 3001 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Riders are encouraged to bring at least one unwrapped toy to donate to Toys for Tots.
- Family & Children’s Services provides assistance and support to one in six Tulsans. Holiday Assistance Program examples include children who’ve been abused, families struggling though crises, or someone suffering from a mental illness.“Families fill out wish lists and generous donors fulfill those wish lists. (918) 560-1115.
- Monte Cassino sixth grade students raised more than 9,000 to sponsor more than 130 angels from the Salvation Army Angel Tree. Monte Cassino has done this for more than 10 years.
- Memorial Park Cemetery Drop off an unwrapped toy at the Administrative Building (5111 S Memorial) and receive a 2012 Silver Ornament.
- “Gifts of Hope Party”. The 2012 goal is 700 gifts , 6 bikes, 5 food baskets and gift cards to be given to William Penn Elementary and Marian Anderson Elementary; both located on North Lewis, in Tulsa Dec 7th 6th Annual
- Rhema Angel Tree Party Broken Arrow, OK December 8, 2012
- A gift and picture for children at Green wood Cultural Center. Santa, Mrs. Claus greets hundreds
- Youth Services plans to provide gifts for about 500 teens and young adults.
- Domestic Violence Intervention Services (DVIS) spotlight 2011 from the NBC Today show! Toy Drive
- Builders trade group members donate toys for military … – Tulsa World About 151 children who have parents deployed with the Army Reserve unit will receive the gifts.
- Christmas for Kids organized by Tulsa Advocates for the Protection of Children, an agency that works with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, has organized the annual program which collects toys and other gifts each year to ensure that every child in DHS custody in Tulsa County receives Christmas gifts. 2012: Foster Care Resource Center– Collection for toys and other gift items for Tulsa County foster children is being held at the former Border’s Books at 2740 E. 21st St. Items are being accepted from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The nonprofit serves children from newborns through teenagers who live in Tulsa County. For more information, call 918-742-4947 Information found in:Broken Arrow grandmother makes doll clothes … – Tulsa World
- Cash and Carey show how easy it is to adopt an angel
- Neighbors Along the Line Christmas Assistance – family adoption & gift room; call for appointment. http://www.neighborsalongtheline.org/asp/community-activities-intro.asp
- Neighbor for Neighbor is accepting toys
- First Baptist Church, Glenpool, is hosting a Christmas Shopping Room. They are seeking gifts (toys, clothes, coats, shoes, games, stocking stuffers) for ages 0 to 18. In addition, they are collecting wrapping paper, shirt boxes, etc. The drop off location is the church office at 52 E 145th ST, Glenpool. Please call 918-322-5229 to make arrangements to drop off gifts and/or wrapping supplies. Deadline for FBC, Glenpool is December 14.
- Winter Wonderland Toy Drive at the University of Tulsa and receive free admission to the school’s basketball games when you bring a new unopened toy worth $10 or more to the Donald W. Reynolds Center, 3208 E. Eighth St., Dec 2012
- Teddy Bear Ride (The Tulsa Bicycle Club) in association with St. Paul’s United Methodist Church which distributes the toys to different charities in the Tulsa metropolitan area. http://www.tulsabicycleclub.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=539195&module_id=124569 November 17th, Bring a toy(s)
Garnett Church of Christ is collecting toys for Contact church of Christ, a mission church in Tulsa. Contact, a community of Christians hit hard by generational poverty and sin, serves as hosts of an annual Christmas Store. The Store provides dignity to financially struggling families by allowing them to purchase gifts for their children (babies–teens). http://www.garnettchurch.org/november-11th-announcements/
- More places to get help
- Grace Church CHRISTMAS OUTREACH Saturday, December 15, We’re expecting to register 200 families, including about 500 children. http://www.gracetulsa.com/Announcements.php
- City Church We are hosting an event for the 12 families at Wright Elementary School on Thursday, December 20th from 5-9pm. We will eat a catered meal with them, take a family portrait, set up a gift shop where they can shop for the toys that we collect through the gift tags, help them wrap the gifts that they select… help kids make a gift for their parents while parents choose their kids gifts. http://citychurchtulsa.com/news
A few from http://www.facebook.com/salarmytulsa
- Mod’s Coffee & Crepes every Thursday until Christmas Mod’s is donating 25% of its sales from 4pm-10pm to help get donations for our “forgotten angels.” These are angels on our angel trees that are either left on the tree, or not returned.
- Firststar Bank in Muskogee is helping with the Angel Tree there.
In addition to the Angel Tree, which allows shoppers to “adopt” someone in need of a gift Salvation Army holiday programs include the bell ringers, the Neediest Family Campaign. Numerous toy runs and toy drives by many, many generous people help collect toys.
- Neediest Families Fund Drive | Tulsa World and Salvation Army 2011- $314,000.00 was raised, in 2010- $339,277 was raised, $320,977 was raised in 2009, and in 2008, the fund collected $414,456.
- Red Kettle (“bell-ringers” ): 2009 -$538,000 surpassing its $500,000 goal.
2010 The Kettle Campaign raised $608,000 in 2010 (Haven’t found the 2011 update yet but found the singing bell ringer. ) Red Kettle Kickoff at Reasors was a great success, with $6520.01 collected on the first day of ringing! We’re well on our way to our goal of $650,000 for 2012! The change put into the kettle will be doubled on the next THREE Saturdays! Aaon has pledged to match every kettle donation on Saturday, December 8th up to $5,000. This means if you put in $1, it will turn into $2. Tulsa Gold & Silver will match kettle donations on December 15th up to $10,000 and on December 22nd up to $15,000!!
- Set up your own, personal Red Kettle at www.onlineredkettle.org! Set a goal, build a team, do good!
Salvation Army buys warehouse for Christmas use | North America … article dated Nov. 12, 2010–The Salvation Army’s Tulsa Area Command new Christmas headquarters -bought a $1.1 million building in the White City neighborhood (924 S. Hudson Ave) to store and distribute the pallets of food and thousands of toys it collects for needy people and families each year. In 2009 5,200 families registered for Christmas assistance. The building includes offices and an 85,000-square-foot warehouse. The newly purchased building will house the offices of four Salvation Army churches, the Christmas Joy assistance program and the Boys & Girls Clubs. It also will be used to store disaster relief equipment. The agency will use the warehouse this Christmas season to distribute food and toys to needy people and families.” The Salvation Army’s services for homeless people will remain at the Center of Hope homeless shelter and social services center at 102 N. Denver Ave.
Angel Tree sign up locations:
- Bartlesville 101 N Bucy (918) 336-6454 Serves Washington and Osage Counties.
- Broken Arrow 1400 W Washington St, Broken Arrow (918) 258-7545 Do not bring any children to application or distribution days. • Provides assistance for families of children ages 0 – 12 years of age. Applications accepted on first- come, first-served basis up to 500 families. • Must bring current photo ID, Call information line for accepted documents. •
- Sapulpa 1721 S Hickory St (918) 224-4415 Sign-up for Christmas Assistance Must bring photo ID, Social Security cards for all household members, birth certificates/guardianship papers for children, proof of all income and proof of residence in Creek County. • If one receives Food Stamps, then must bring Food Stamp approval letter or benefits letter. • Distribution information will be given at sign-up. (Verify.)
- Muskogee 615 S Main, Muskogee (918) 682-3384 Sign-up for Christmas Assistance, Angel Tree and Food Baskets is open M – F, October 19 – 30, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. • Must provide photo ID and Social Security cards, birth certificates for children 12 and under. • If client receives DHS assistance, must bring HA screen from DHS. • If no DHS Assistance, must also have proof of all income, current check stub, and proof of all bills. • Distribution information given at sign-up.
- Salvation Army Center of Hope 102 N Denver, Tulsa (918) 582-7201 The Salvation Army- 601 N. Main/ 583-6119/ www.salvationarmytulsa.org
- Sand Springs Charles Page Corps Community Center 4403 S 129th W Ave, Sand Springs (918) 245-2237;Tulsa County Social Services 2401 Charles Page Blvd., Tulsa (918) 596-5580
I like what Salvation Army had on their Facebook page: The book titled, “Why Good Things Happen to Good People” says that research shows we are hardwired to feel good when we do good! Your body creates more dopamine when you take part in altruistic behaviors.
BICYCLES TO BE GIVEN AWAY
- Proyecto Angelitos Holiday Toy Drive. 2012 The Coalition for the American Dream for hundreds of children in the Tulsa area through its Proyecto Angelitos Holiday Toy Drive. contact Blanca Zavala at 918 231-3340. In 2010 the coalition raised more than $10,000 for the Christmas giveaway, said Marvin Lizama, coalition president. The 2010 event, held at Panaderia Pancho Anaya on East 21st Street, marked the fourth year of the coalition’s Christmas giveaway. 200 bikes were given away. Jazmine Rivera, 4, pats the seat on a bicycle during the American Dream’s Projecto Angelitos Christmas giveaway
- 30 Bikes given away by Academy
- Bikes for Tykes (44 Whitman students receive donated bikes | Tulsa World) Bikes for Tykes is working to distribute 800 bikes to area kids by the end of the year: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20121130_19_A13_CUTLIN208711 Tommy Chavez and Jason Whorton founded Bikes for Tykes of Tulsa.
- Bixby Community Church “Bicycle Blessing” (2009 they gave away 160 bikes and in 2010 had another bicycle giveaway.) 2-year-old Sebastian Alvarez rides his new bicycle. Are they continuing this?
- Asbury Church, 68th & Mingo, collected new and used bikes in the past. (Are they continuing this?)
See also Gifts of Hope for Bikes
http://www.tulsacan.org/about.htm Each year Cornerstone and AM-1170 KFAQ team up to raise funds on-air to purchase thousands of Christmas turkeys. Churches then deliver full Christmas dinners to hurting families in their neighborhoods. While in the homes, churches wish families a Merry Christmas and offer them the opportunity to have a happy New Year by receiving life-transformation support to leave poverty.
Charities to give to: You should pick them–They should not pick you. Just because something comes in the mail asking for money to help kids is not a reason to write a check.
Check them out carefully.
How Can I Find Families that Need Help at Christmas? A good way to find families with needs at Christmas is through word-of-mouth. There may be co-workers who have suffered recent personal losses and might appreciate a charitable gesture. Local newspapers often publish articles on the plight of families who have lost everything due to fire or other natural disasters. Fellow church members or ministers may also know of families in need, especially during the holiday season. A private meeting with a local pastor or church secretary may provide the necessary contact information for local families in crisis.
Would you like to help where it is needed?
- Families who have a child in the hospital might not be able to buy for their other kids.
- a co-worker may be struggling
- more and more elderly are having a hard time. Seniors may need more of the bare necessities to survive.
- Nursing homes are full of people who would just love to see a kind face.
- Let’s not forget our vets in the hospital and care centers.
- There are kids in the rural areas outside of Tulsa that do not have any organizations that mom and dad can go to.
Places that know older people in need: Hospice groups, Visiting Nurses, those who provide some help for an Alzheimers patient in a Nursing Home.
Consider adopting a centenarian for the holiday season.
Call Mary Lou Gibson, 918 622-4239, of the Northeast Active Timers (NEATs) group.
A couple of priceless things people could do for nothing at all :
- Appear at a nursing home with a chessboard and challenge someone to a game.
- Shovel the neighbors walk.
- Do nice things for people who will never find out that you were the “one”.
Be a Santa to a Senior trees to help needy and isolated seniors are in both of Drysdales’ retail stores. http://blog.drysdales.com/play-santa-for-a-senior Many older adults continue to struggle in a down economy, particularly those who live alone with no family nearby to help provide resources. Seniors have faced a trying year amid the threat of Social Security payment delays as part of the debt-ceiling debate. What’s more, seniors have lost almost one-third (32 percent) of their buying power since 2000, according to the Annual Survey of Senior Costs from The Senior Citizens League. Be a Santa to a Senior®, has delivered 1.2 million gifts to needy seniors throughout North America in the past six years.
Drysdales Western Wear
-10127 East. 71st St.
-3220 South Memorial Dr.
Kmart -3132 East 51st St.
Drug Warehouse – 5046 S. Sheridan Road