Kettle corn is a little oil, salt and brown and white sugar and pop kernels on the stove.
Takes me back to childhood…a crispy dry popcorn that you usually find on boardwalks and at fairs….road trips, extra fun at parties, for kids and adults, alike and lazy days & gift giving!!
FRUIT FLAVORED GLAZED POPCORN – a good salty, sweet combination.
Note: Dry days would be best for this treat. In a very humid area the popcorn will start to melt together.
- 10 cups popped popcorn (Some use more popcorn – some said 14 and one used 20 cups to cut down on the sweetness. Another said she just used 3 bags of lightly buttered microwave popcorn (the lite-works best for flavored popcorn) )
- 1 STICK butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package fruit flavored Jell-O® mix ( Do not use sugar-free jello – it doesn’t work.)
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (One said that she used honey instead and others didn’t try it so don’t know how good it was.)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F* (150 degrees C).
- Grease a 1/4 sheet pan or two 8×12 inch baking dishes. Generously butter a heavy 2 quart saucepan.
- Distribute popcorn evenly in prepared baking pans. Place in oven to keep warm.
- In prepared saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, sugar, gelatin, corn syrup and water. Heat to 250 to 265 degrees F (121 to 129 degrees C)**, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a rigid ball. (Others say instead of using a thermometer just let the mixture come to a boil and then boil for 4 minutes STIRRING OFTEN! This was easier than dealing with the candy thermometer.
- turn off the heat added 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Turn popcorn out onto a roaster or a large piece of foil. (The roaster allows you to stir it without making a mess.)
- Pour mixture evenly over popcorn and stir until coated. Return popcorn to oven and bake 5 minutes*; stir, then bake 5 minutes more.
- Let cool completely and break into clusters. It needs a few minutes to cool off so you can taste how crisp it is! Store in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place.
* if you like the popcorn to be drier and crispier (where it says in #1 to preheat oven at 350 and then -in #7 it says bake for 5 minutes—instead only preheat to 250 degrees and let it bake for about a half hour, stirring in between. Another said she baked it for about 40 minutes and that dried it out even more and made the taste pop. Another said she baked it at 300 for 10 minutes….AMAZING!! (Remember that ovens heat differently. 10 min may be little long in ones oven, but not enough in another…so you will need to figure what is best for your oven and your taste.)
MORE FLAVOR IDEAS, THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS
- Island pineapple Jello (add a tsp of coconut flavoring to make it pina colada)
- Strawberry (add a tsp of strawberry flavoring)
- Raspberry (add a tsp of raspberry flavoring)
- OSU orange throw in about 1/3 of a bag of vanilla baking chips with orange jello and enjoy the big chunks of this great tasting orange popcorn. (Could probably substitute strawberry for OU)
- Strawberry jello for the glaze (& add a spoon full of milk chocolate chips to each serving after it cooled.)
- Grape- looked gray and didn’t have a real grape taste. Thinking maybe could try adding a few drops of purple food coloring so it does not turn grey.
- 4th of July.…cherry and berry blue. (The blue looked more like teal on the popcorn, though…just in case you plan on using blue).
- Christmas – strawberry and lime, and mix together-the red and green popcorn will be a hit at Christmas parties!
- Try batches of different flavors of jello, mixed all together such as green apple, watermelon, berry blue, cran-raspberry, cherry. raspberry, berry, pineapple, peach, orange and pina colada. Berry Fusion is blackberry and raspberry flavored),berry blue
Reported in 2010: Flavored popcorn from a little shop that’s about 2 hours away from us is $6.99 for a little bag! It’s very expensive, but delicious however I’ll never buy it there again because this recipe tastes amazing!! My brother & husband think this is even better than the store’s! Everyone that has tried it LOVES it!! 🙂 Very fun and yummy treat!
NOW SHARE YOUR IDEAS!