You can easily make a delicious gift for Valentines Day.
Shari Fitzpatrick, who owns Shari’s Berries, not only tells how to make them in a video, she gives you the simple recipe (below) and shares her story in Guideposts.
She sells the chocolate covered strawberries for $54.99 a dozen, when not on sale! (JANUARY 2016) See gorgeous pictures of them.
Godiva Chocolate stores have been selling theirs for $5 each, which is $60 a dozen. However, they are inexpensive to make! Strawberry sales usually start right before Valentines Day and chocolate chips are cheaper at Aldi than Walmart.
- One 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Strawberries, washed and patted completely dry, with paper towels. (If you don’t start with completely dry strawberries, it will ruin the chocolate.) Leave green stems intact.
(optional) 1 tsp. orange, hazelnut or mint extract
- Put chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate chips in 30-second increments, in the microwave, stirring each time until the chocolate is completely melted. (After you make them the first time you can experiment with using your defrost setting and going a bit longer than 30 seconds between stirring.)
- Add flavored extract here, if you decided to use one. Pour melted chocolate into fondue pot or Crockpot. Keep warm on lowest setting. Stir occasionally, if needed.
- Grasp the strawberry by the green top, roll the strawberry into the chocolate, and give it a little shake when you pull the strawberry out of the chocolate. Point the strawberry upward, and allow the chocolate to cover most of the strawberry.
- You may want to drizzle strawberries with a little white chocolate. If you want sprinkles or nuts, sprinkle the strawberry, while the chocolate is still soft. Place dipped strawberry on waxed paper. Store dipped strawberries in the refrigerator.
Pineapple chunks and mandarin orange segments speared with toothpicks, or even Oreos can be dipped in chocolate!
Shari’s inspiring story about pursuing her passion helped her build a successful business!
Shari offers tips and techniques, in this video, for making these chocolate-dipped treats at home!
PREFER A GIANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE OVER CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES?
Instead of paying $22.99 at the mall for a 12 inch cookie, here is how to save a lot of money over what the bakeries charge. Giant chocolate chip cookie:
- grab a 16.5 oz log of refrigerated cookie dough. (Mine was on sale for $2.49.)
- press the cookie dough into a throw-away pizza pan from Dollar Tree. (Two in pkg.)
- Bake til done. Decorate it or leave it looking like the giant chocolate chip cookie it is.