Tips from Dermatologists, Makeup Artists and Youtube
PREVENTION OF ‘CREPEY, SAGGY SKIN”
- always use sunscreen
- cleanser at night
- good nutrition (instead of sugar and processed foods eat fruits and vegetables which give you extra protection against visible signs of damage to skin and can help with other chronic diseases.
- Quit smoking as it has a profound effect on your skin.
- Get enough sleep and don’t be one who says they don’t require much sleep. Your skin requires it.
- Exercise as it gets your heart rate up which helps with better circulation to heal and regenerate skin.
- Practice stress management habits so you can cope with stress and not panic.
TO HELP WITH CREPEY, SAGGY SKIN
- Dermarolling (watch video)
- Nivea CoQ10 cream for skin firming and toning
- Glytone Exfoliating – use in morning. Good for hands. Don’t overdo it.
The three signs of skin aging are:
- loss of collagen (wrinkles)
- dull skin
- uneven skin tone.
To reverse changes or slow progress we need a retinoid to fight against collagen loss by rebuilding new collagen. There are only a few ingredients that can penetrate deep enough into the skin to cause the fibroblast cells in the skin to produce new collagen and affect cellular change. This is an absolute “must have” in your routine.
Important note: a Retinoid cream is not the same as a collagen cream. She recommendede a retinoid product, not a collagen cream, as a collagen cream can’t penetrate into the dermis layer of the skin to replace lost collagen. The collagen molecule when applied topically is too big to get down into the dermis, even if it makes the skin feel great and hydrated. (She advised that retinols can cause skin cancer in some people.)
Topical Vitamin A products suggested by dermatologist
- Cerave Resurfacing Retionol
- Avene Retrinal is a step above Retinol. ( You can start with the day cream and move to 0.05 and then 0.1 intensive cream. This is a retinaldehyde so requires a conversion
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair (fragrance free) For dry and sensitive skin or if you have never tired a retinoid before start with Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair- fragrance free. Very moisturizing so you don’t really need another with it. Use it on your neck, hands, fact to rebuild collagen and decrease wrinkles.
- Adapalene (Differin) is the best choice because it is the most active. Studies show it is helpful in wrinkle and fine lines. It is prescription strength but doesn’t require a prescription . It requires no conversion like the others.
- The Renova® brand of tretinoin is used to reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles and mottled skin discoloration, and to make rough facial skin feel smoother.
- Retin-A® and Avita® brands of tretinoin are used to treat acne.
But first, see side effects here: https://www.drugs.com/mtm/tretinoin.html
2012 A new medical study suggests that side effects of Accutane and Retin–A, both acne drugs, may cause a worsening of the digestive disorder known as celiac disease. Accutane Side Effects Could Worsen Celiac Disease: Study
- Eucerin Advanced Repair lotion with AHAS
- Alpha Care Essential Renewal Cream or Lotion
- DRMTLGY Advanced Retexturizer– has sunscreen (Some dermatologist use this daily.)
Stimulate collagen for remodeling of neck or face– Dermatologist’s office: radiofrequency, ultrasound or pulsed light devices (not arms or thighs where it is so close to muscle.)
- Shea butter is good and inexpensive
- 360 Beauty lotion or cream (found at CVS)
MAKEUP ARTISTS SAY THESE WALMART BRANDS ARE AS GOOD AS THE MORE EXPENSIVE BRANDS
- Equate Beauty Collagen Moisturizer Day/Night Cream, 1.7 oz $3.93/ea
- Equate Beauty Reviving Anti-Wrinkle & Firming Eye Cream, 0.5 oz $7.87
EXFOLIATE: Hollywood makeup artist Kelcey Fry says, exfoliate three times a week — preferably at night, to avoid too much redness during the day — “because, as we get older, we produce less collagen, and we don’t exfoliate as we did when we were younger. As we mature, we need to help manipulate that.”
DERMATOLOGIST ADVICE FOR YOUTHFUL SKIN INSTEAD OF BUYING EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS:
- BEFORE BED- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 8 oz water in a spray bottle and spritz on before going to bed. (Apple cider vinegar’s malic and tartaric act as exfoliants and astringents, drawing toxins, unclogging pores and making dry dull skin look radiant. Plus, apple cider vinegar seals in moisture so skin stays soft and is less prone to developing wrinkles.
- MORNING- Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar and a few aspirin for a “toner” to use every morning. The acids in the vinegar force your old skin cells to flake off, much like expensive “alpha hydroxy” products, yet vinegar is safer and much cheaper. (Put it on a cotton ball to cleanse your face. You will know it is working if, just like the alpha hydroxy lotions, it makes your face turn red.)
- Shaved her face for 35+ years and look what happened
- 5 Things That Happened When She Started Shaving Her Face
- Facial hair removal – advice from a celebrity makeup artist
- How to fix uneven eyes
- how to apply eye shadow on older eyes
- Hooded, down-turned or aging eyes-New technique
- Hooded eyes
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLNRlVRJLg Is this repeat of hooded eyes above?
- Hooded eyes help by Dominique Sachse
- Eyeliner tips for mature eyes
- Under eye before concealor (use peach) 10:54 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc
EYEBROWS Pencil thin, overly-plucked eyebrows makes a person look older and outdated. In 2022m to achieve the more natural, thicker , face-framing eyebrows that’s popular, the option is to fill them. Tricks for getting the perfect eyebrow shape and color that will help your eyebrows look natural, include using mascara, a pencil, or pomade.
- In 2020, a friend with gorgeous eyebrows shared her secret. She gets them dyed by Nova at the Admiral Beauty Supply at 91st and Sheridan in Tulsa, OK for $15, when according to the friend some places charge $50 to dye them!
- Eyebrow Template Shaping-Kit-8-Styles
Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Gel – Mini 524 ($9.00 found at Sephora or $20 on Amazon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc at 7:04 Revlon Color Stay pencil- For blondes they have blonde and a darker blonde shade
Nyx Queen palette is less expensive than Too Faced Sweet Peach (Look for Nyx at Ulta, Drug store or Nyx’s website.)
LOWER LASHES HACK: (Start at 8:20)
More from Nikol Johnson here
TIPS FROM OTHER PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP ARTISTS
- Apply makeup like a celebrity makeup artist
- 14 exclusive makeup tips for older women from a professional makeup artist
- Pro Makeup Artist Shares Her Everyday Makeup Routine Secrets
- 60 Years Beautiful: Natural Makeup How To for Mature Women: Everyday Makeup Tutorial To Look More awake and color in the watermark for eyes Men can use this pomade, too.
- How to do Makeup on Women over 60 Makeup Tutorial
- CLASSIC EVERYDAY MAKEUP with Style At A Certain Age | 60’S EDITION
- Photos and Makeup Tips for Mature Women over 50 and 60!
- Makeup artist shares a secret: She likes this $5.49 makeup over the $150 Chanel makeup (Spoiler: Wet and Wild Focus Dewy Foundation)
- Makeup artist shares $5 concealer that really works (Spoiler: Wet and Wild Incognito Concealer)
- Drugstore Concealer with 90K 5-STAR Reviews (Spoiler: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer)
- Covergirl TruBlend undercover concealor is a very good dupe Anastasia Magic Touch Concealer (a creamy high coverage concealer)
- Real makeup for women over 60
- makeup for older women the best online video tutorials-seniorplanet.org
- best makeup for older women -townandcountrymag.com
- Mature Skin- Makeup to look younger
- Best Face lifting Techniques
- Best makeup tips for older women- prevention.com
- Applying makeup for women over 60
- Beverlyhillsmd.com- makeup tips women age 60
- How to apply makeup for a 60-year-old
- Natural makeup tutorial over 50
- Makeup Tutorial for Ladies in their 70s
- Makeup for mature skin/women over 60/tricks & tips!
- 5-makeup-tips-for-older-women 1. Use Cream-based Cosmetics on your face (not powder-based). Powder adds texture to skin that already has developed texture. 2. Find a tone of lipstick that matches your inner lip or gums. 3. Don’t recreate the brows you had in your 20s. Women older than 50 tend to lose definition in their eyebrows. 4. ….. Click link to read the rest
- Lip hack technique
- how to fake big lips
- Fake lip fillers
- Happy looking lips
- Lip Lift
- To keep your mouth from looking downturned (Maybelline lip crayon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc at 15:18
LIPSTICK AND LIP GLOSS- Drugstore Dupes That Rival High End Products!
- L’oreal “Nude Heaven” same color as expensive Gucci “Sally Soft Honey” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK0v6ptyI0 at 2:37 (and lipliner to go with it: Charlotte Tilbury lip liner – Essence “Because Duh” is cheaper and longer wearing)
- Charlotte Tilbury lipstick “Cat walking” is almost identical to inexpensive Milani “Pleasure” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK0v6ptyI0 at 4:01 (color, feel and finish)
- Lipgloss NYX “Bit of Honey” is less expensive than “Nars Chelsea Girls” which runs $26
- L’Oreal Four in One Age Perfect Intensive Balm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc at 9:15
- (Two makeup artists said Wet and Wild foundation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37HVcFyTGRI at 15:33 and Wet and Wild Photo Focus Foundation Dewy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHBrWWfWwY
- Milani Conceal and Protect is her favorite of all time from the drugstore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJP7nOxemr4
- L’Oreal Infallible Matte-lock is less expensive than the Mac Studio- Mattifix 12 hour shine control primer
- Revlon “Apricute less expensive yet is same shade and finish as Nars “Dolce Vita”
- Sheglam “Love cake” liquid blush at $5 is less expensive but same as expensive Rare beauty “Hope” (You have to order Sheglam on line.)
- cream blush is great for those with mature skin. She uses Covergirl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc The secret to getting a fresh-faced vibrant look is to apply a little bit of blush to the cheeks or opt for browner for a sun-kissed glow
- People with a warm skin tone have veins that appear green or greenish-blue and look better in reds, corals, golds, oranges, peaches and yellows. They should avoid jewel and icy tones.
- People with a cool skin tone have veins that appear purple or blue. Cooler skin tones look better in blues, reds, purples, and pinks. Colors to avoid are oranges, reds, and yellows.
- If the color of your veins is indistinguishable, most likely, your skin tone is neutral so you’re a mixture warm and cool.
Fake nails and bold or dark polish like burgundy, navy, forest green, and dark purple draw attention to your hands, which show age as you get older. For a more classic look, lighter colors in nudes and light pinks will better against more mature skin and they’ll match most of your outfits.
HAIR- In 2022 side parts are out and middle parts are in!
GUA SHA for Tension, Puffiness, and Lymphatic Drainage (google it)
Trends- Trying too hard to be on top of the latest trends in makeup or clothing can make us look older
- Pants that have stretchy waists and anything with pleats and boxy shapes. (Those that are more tailored to your body will look better.
- Wearing all black which can make you appear older. However, it’s super slimming and can make your look elegant and expensive when you mix different fabrics like leather and silk with cotton or lace or break the outfit up with a statement belt or a fun, colorful piece of jewelry.
- “Old Lady” Handbags- oversized designer handbags (Coach, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Dooney & Bourke ) with huge logos are out. Smaller purses and clutches are available in all sorts of fun shapes and colors—to match all of your outfits. Leather totes and backpacks are also in.
- Overalls- Nope, just nope. Shapeless, they don’t do your body any favors at any age. A great pair of well-fitted jeans are a better option and go with much more in your wardrobe.
- Short Skirts-Even if your legs are amazing, it’s better to stick with hems that stop a little bit above the knee.
- Baggy pieces can overwhelm your frame and look frumpy. When wearing a baggy piece of clothing, balance it out with a tighter one. Example: if you’re wearing a loose tunic, pair it with skinny or straight-leg jeans and if you’re wearing wide-leg trousers, wear a tighter top to balance the overall look.
- Belts are a great way to show off the tiniest part of the body, which is the waist. Belts instantly make any outfit look put together and will highlight your figure in all of the right ways. Add interest to our outfits with statement belts.
- Shoes– heels make any outfit look chicer and they elevate a look, elongating your legs and making you look younger. Kitten heels are back in style in 2022.
- Boots with thick, short heels never seem to go out of fashion.
- Tailored, well-fitted suit in your wardrobe will instantly make you look professional and sophisticated. Instead of tweed, look for suits in solid colors or pinstripes.
Still working on these:
- Lots more here: