Tips learned from Dermatologists, Makeup Artists and Youtube
PREVENTION OF ‘CREPEY, SAGGY SKIN’
- Sunscreen- Always use a minimum of 15 SPF sunscreen year round.
- Cleanse at night– Excessive skin cleansing can do more harm than good, so try washing just once, preferably at night. Also bar soap can disrupt the skins natural PH balance, which affects the skins comfort level. If your skin becomes inflamed, red, irritated or flaky more easily it is because the skin’s barrier becomes drier and weaker without proper hydration, and dryness can lead to sensitivity.
- Moisturize!- Oil production takes a dive, making skin more dry
- Good nutrition is important (Instead of sugar and processed foods eat fruits and vegetables which give you extra protection against visible signs of damage to skin and can help with other chronic diseases. Those who cooking with olive oil are less prone to wrinkle-causing processes n the body, than those who use lard or butter. Olive oil is a healthy monounsaturated fat, rich in compounds that strengthen and protect skins underlying support structure. Butter and lard are loaded with saturated fats which don’t give your skin any protection. Cut back on read meat which promotes inflammation.
- Quit smoking as it has a profound effect on your skin.
- Get enough sleep and don’t say you don’t need much sleep. Your skin requires it. Sleep on your back as sleeping on your side can crush the skin and over time cause lasting lines.
- Exercise as it gets your heart rate up which helps with better circulation to heal and regenerate skin.
- Stress weakens the skins outer barrier. That could make a difference in a number of diseases of the skin, such as eczema and atopic dermatitis. Stress management habits help you cope and not panic.
- Water- 8 glasses of water a day to wash away skin damaging toxins and keep you glowing. (Dehydrate and you wrinkle like a raisin.)
- too much sun exposure and pollution.
- damage from the inside includes eating a lot of processed foods and sugar, drinking too much alcohol, stress, and increased oxidative damage and inflammation.
As you age you will have reduced cell turnover causing dry skin due to inability to hold on to moisture. The outer layer is the roof of dead skin that thickens as we age so we need to exfoliate to see more of the fresher skin. Regulate exfoliation will help cell turnover, stimulate collagen and fade pigmentation.
EXFOLIATE: Hollywood makeup artist Kelcey Fry says, exfoliate three times a week — preferably at night, to avoid too much redness during the day — “because, as we get older, we produce less collagen, and we don’t exfoliate as we did when we were younger. As we mature, we need to help manipulate that.” Use a gentle scrub that contains alpha hydroxy acids (see vinegar below) and avoid alcohol-based toners that dry out skin.
DERMATOLOGIST ADVICE FOR YOUTHFUL SKIN INSTEAD OF BUYING EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS:
- BEFORE BED- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 8 oz water in a spray bottle and spritz on before going to bed. (Apple cider vinegar’s malic and tartaric act as exfoliants and astringents, drawing toxins, unclogging pores and making dry dull skin look radiant. Plus, apple cider vinegar seals in moisture so skin stays soft and is less prone to developing wrinkles.
- MORNING- Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar and a few aspirin for a “toner” to use every morning. The acids in the vinegar force your old skin cells to flake off, much like expensive “alpha hydroxy” products, yet vinegar is safer and much cheaper. (Put it on a cotton ball to cleanse your face. You will know it is working if, just like the alpha hydroxy lotions, it makes your face turn red.)
The natural malic acids in apples instantly brighten skin tone. Regular treatments with apple extract will refine pores and even out your complexion in just a few weeks.
When used topically, Apple cider vinegar clears bacteria that may be related to either infections or skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis (scalp eczema), and eczema. ...However, “The apple cider vinegar acts as a harsh remover of the skin’s protective layer, leaving it vulnerable and red,
Microdermabrasion is an effective, safe procedure used to correct the appearance of fine lines, hyperpigmentation, sun spots, acne scars and enlarged pores. It removes layers of dead skin cells, exposing new skin cells. The procedure stimulates the natural collagen production within the skin. As the treatment progresses, the signs of aging, acne scarring and acne disappear. Within a few treatments, the skin’s texture becomes smoother and the skin become firmer. Microdermabrasion can create the appearance of a youthful glow. Google ‘microdermabrasion scrubs‘ as they offer some of the most hardcore exfoliations you can get without leaving your home.
- Shaved her face for 35+ years and look what happened
- 5 Things That Happened When She Started Shaving Her Face
- Facial hair removal – advice from a celebrity makeup artist
Wrinkles and fine lines-
The decline of skin tone and acceleration of wrinkles may start when gallbladder is removed. The body can’t absorb the healthy fats you eat well without a gallbladder).
Dab eye cream on the wrinkle–no matter where it is. Eye creams are thick, so they plump out wrinkles. For the smoothest look, let the cream sink in, then dot on foundation with a sponge. MAKEUP ARTISTS SAY THE WALMART BRAND (Equate Beauty Reviving Anti-Wrinkle & Firming Eye Cream, 0.5 oz $7.87 in 2022) is as good as the more expensive brands
Wrinkle fighters- dark chocolate, fish, green tea and soy.
A Japanese study found after 8 weeks, women who ate foods containing 40 mg of aglycone, a soy isoflavone each day saw improvement in their skin elasticity. After 12 weeks the women eating soy noticed a reduction of fine lines. Excess soy consumption has been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer so limit your isoflavone intake to about 40 mg daily (about 1 c. of soy milk or 4 oz of tofu). Soy milk, tofu, miso and boiled edamame (green soybeans)
Glycolic acid peels will not correct wrinkles nor do scars respond to glycolic peel. Procedures that penetrate skin layers more deeply are required for wrinkles and scars.
- Eucerin Advanced Repair lotion with AHAS
- Alpha Care Essential Renewal Cream or Lotion
- DRMTLGY Advanced Retexturizer– has sunscreen (Some dermatologist use this daily.)
HOWEVER, ALPHA HYDROXY ACID (AHAs) are extracellular agents that have no regulatory or intracellular effect, so products with less than 10% AHA can only produce short-lived smoothness and, with continued use, help prevent pores from clogging. It cannot repair damaged DNA or reduce melanin production (which is seen as brown spots), nor can it prevent skin or actinic keratosis. Actinic keratosis, sometimes called solar keratosis or senile keratosis, is a pre-cancerous area of thick, scaly, or crusty skin. )The principal reason that AHAs have had a significant impact on skin because they reduce corneocyte adhesion and accelerated cell proliferation, which means they act as an exfoliant only to the uppermost layer of skin.
- Carrot (Google: ‘face mask crushed carrots’)
- Pineapple contains natural enzymes that remove dead cells. Mash canned pineapple with a few spoonfuls of brown sugar. Massage into skin and rinse. (You can also liquefy the peel and core of a whole pineapple in a blender and apply as a face mask for 15-30 minutes.)
- Soy- pureed soybeans mask.
- Peaches applied topically -The potent antioxidant lowers the acidity of the epidermis to protect against blemish causing bacteria. (Peaches are packed with vitamin A). For the mask-remove skin and pit from one peach, place in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add 1 Tablespoon brandy and mix well. Apply to damp face and leave on for 20 min. Rinse skin and pat dry. Discard unused portion.
- Noni fruit as a toner for perfectly smooth complexion– In a spray bottle, mix 3 tablespoons noni juice (Costco and heath food carries), 2 c. water and 8 drops orange essential oil. Chill and mist on face. Store in fridge for 1 week. (Eating noni-fruit for extra energy- blend 1/4 c. noni juice, 1/2 c. orange juice, 1/2 c. ice cubes, a banana and a spoon full of honey.)
- Tomatoes and yogurt to cleanse the skin, purify pores, freshen the skin and create dewy texture. A mix of fresh tomatoes and yogurt provides relief and healing. Packed with Vitamin C and a powerful antioxidant, tomatoes act as a natural sunscreen and toner. The lactic acid and enzymes in yogurt hydrates and soothes improving redness and reducing itchiness. Cucumbers are the perfect complement to de-puff the eyes. (1 ripe tomato, 1/4 c. plain yogurt with active cultures, 2 slices of cucumbers. Mash the tomato and blend it together with yogurt until a creamy mash emerges. Spread the concoction across your clean face and allow it to settle for 15- 20 minutes. Apply two slices of cucumber over your eyes to cool and de-puff. Wash with cold water and promptly pat dry. Don’t forget to moisturize when you’re done.)
- Caffeine combats fat cells that get trapped in the tissue just below dimpled skin. Espresso your bumps to temporarily reduce the water content in that connective tissue. Added sugar and salt act as a natural exfoliant. They effectively remove dead skin, replacing vital minerals and smooth the area making it easier to absorb the moisture provided by the oil in this mix. The key is to help break down this fatty tissue inside and reveal the smooth tissue underneath. (1 c. ground coffee, 1/2 sea salt, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. sweet almond oil or olive oil. Be sure to stand in tub before massaging in for 5 minutes until you feel sufficiently circulated. The wash away the mess.
Anti-Aging Effects of Probiotics For the Skin
The gut microbiome is the bacteria found in your intestines that influences your overall health, especially your skin.
- prevent eczema.
- you deal with a variety of skin conditions.
- Restore a Healthy Estrogen Balance.
- Improve Hormonal imbalance
- restore acidic skin pH
- alleviate oxidative stress
- attenuate photoaging
- improve skin barrier function,
- enhance hair quality.
Probiotics also support your immune system, keep your digestive system healthy and promote urinal and genital health. www.lifeextension.com
Taking a probiotic supplement adds more good bacteria to your body and helps to balance the good and bad bacteria. However, just grabbing a bottle that says it is a probiotic is not good enough.You want to use an ultra-targeted bacteria formulated specifically to target dryness, and redness and promotes a clear, even skin tone.
Examples of probiotics:
- L reuteri reverses skin aging (BioGia is a good one) See Natural Medicine Wrinkle reversal –
- Fermentum ME-3- (not to be confused with the one called simply ‘Lactobacillus fermentum‘) Pharmacist Suzy Cohen gives high marks to it as an antioxidant, detox, helps with liver function, heart health, cancer, wrinkly skin, dark spots.
“When you apply probiotics topically, they act as a physical shield like a barrier, blocking harmful microbes from causing inflammation or infection.
Prebiotic foods which activate friendly probiotic bacteria found in yogurt and kefir include fiber-rich food such as: bananas which are rich in potassium and moisture hydrate and moisturize dry skin, making it soft and supple. The Vitamin A in a banana restores moisture, smooths out the rough texture of the skin and heals dry, parched skin.
- Brown spots (aka age spots and dark spots) Exposure to the sun can cause visible brown spots. Dr. Helen M. Torok MD in Ohio said prescription hydroquinone is the gold standard for reducing age spots. (Oct/Nov 2012 AARP)
- Broken blood vessels and redness can be due to sun exposure. Lasers can be used to zap and destroy the dilated superficial blood vessels (telangiectasias) underneath the skin on cheeks, nose, chin and legs with no scarring. Another option to help make skin look younger: a radio frequency emitting device, which uses heat to contract collagen and tighten the skin, without injuring the outer epidermis.
- The loss of firmness in the face is due to weakening of collagen and elastin fibers (your skin’s support structure) leading to deep wrinkles. Plus gravity’s pull and a loss of fat, muscle and bone and cause sagging eyelids, drooping brows and hollowness under the eyes. The thin skin around your eyes produces less moisture than the rest of the face, so it is extra vulnerable to sun exposure. (Examples: ‘Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with broad spectrum sunscreen and skin-brightening soy’or ‘Neutrogena Visibly Firm Active Copper’. Google both to see who has the best price.) Vitamin C cream or oil can reverse skin damage.
- Sagging skin under the jaw-consider tightening radiofrequency treatment. (AARP) Stimulate collagen for remodeling of neck or face– Dermatologist’s office: radiofrequency, ultrasound or pulsed light devices (not arms or thighs where it is so close to muscle.)
- Skin tags– they are usually benign and can be removed through freezing or cauterizing.
For Glowing Skin, Dewy texture- a fundamental component of a well-rounded skincare routine—nutrition, and specifically, antioxidants.
Dr. Jonathan V. Wright, inventor of modern-day bioidentical hormones said that you have to reconstitute your skin from the inside out. He recommended taking a tablespoon full of cod liver oil (which is high in vitamin A and vitamin D) (He recommends Dropi Pure Icelandic Cod Liver Oil), mixed tocopherol Vitamin E and sunflower, sesame or safflower oil for six to eight weeks. Some say that they added a tablespoon of liquid hyaluronic acid (HA) to the mix which acts as a natural support for your skin while delivering moisture and nutrients.
Defend Your Skin with Antioxidants
Oxidative stress plays a major role in the development of lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, dryness and roughness, and skin cancer. A recent study published in the journal Scientific Reports found that skin on and around the nose and between the eyebrows showed higher levels of oxidative stress, and oxidative damage around the eyes increased with age. These hotspots of oxidation positively correlated with more wrinkles in those areas. Antioxidants are our best defenses against this type of damage.
- Glutathione, the master antioxidant, reduces oxidative stress.
- Grape Seed Extract and Pine Bark Extract – role in skin health are the phytonutrient proanthocyanidins found in grape seed extract and pine bark extract (Pycnogenol® is a trademarked name for a proprietary pine bark extract). supplementation with 75 mg of Pycnogenol per day for 12 weeks led to an increase in skin elasticity and hydration, especially in the women who began the study with dry skin. (A study of the effects of Pycnogenol supplementation on skin health in a group of workers in Beijing, China who worked outdoors from spring to autumn and were constantly exposed to particulate matter, as well as seasonal changes in humidity, temperature, and UV exposure. 50 mg twice daily for 12 weeks preserved skin hydration, prevented water lost through evaporation from the skin, and improved elasticity. Pine bark extract protects skin cells from UV-damage, and reduces hyperpigmentation, appears to promote the body’s natural production of collagen and increases the production of hyaluronic acid in the skin. Hyaluronic acid a natural humectant—a substance that attracts and holds moisture— is naturally found in the skin, helping to keep it hydrated and plump; the body’s natural production declines with age.
- Resveratrol an antioxidant that protects and fortifies skin from the inside out. This powerful polyphenol, found in grapes, is what gives red wine its healthy reputation, but rather than relying on wine (alcohol is a major skin wrecker), look to supplements for optimal amounts. One placebo-controlled study investigating resveratrol’s effect on facial skin included 50 men and women between the ages of 35 and 65; they all showed signs of skin aging, including wrinkles, dull complexion, and hyperpigmentation, they also committed to not use any face creams for the duration of the study. After 60 days of supplementing with one capsule containing 8 mg of transresveratrol (a more biologically active form of resveratrol) plus additional procyanidins, participants experienced increased skin moisture and elasticity, improved texture, reduced depth in wrinkles, and a significant decrease in the intensity of hyperpigmentation. In more recent research, resveratrol was shown to stimulate the proliferation of fibroblasts, specialized cells that produce collagen.
- Astaxanthin and lutein are carotenoid antioxidants that seem to be particularly effective at protecting human skin against photodamage (damage from the sun). One study found that astaxanthin “exhibited a pronounced photoprotective effect” on human skin cells exposed to moderate UVA radiation, preventing cell death, reducing levels of damaging free radicals, and increasing antioxidant activity. The researchers also observed that there was a preferential uptake of astaxanthin by fibroblasts, cells that make collagen.13 Human studies have shown that 6 mg of astaxanthin daily for eight weeks improved “crow’s feet” (wrinkles around the eyes), hyperpigmentation, elasticity, moisture content, and skin texture in both men and women.14 A placebo-controlled trial including 50 men and women with mild-to-moderate dry skin took a supplement containing 10 mg of lutein and 2 mg of zeaxanthin for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, overall skin tone and “luminance” were significantly increased in the group taking the lutein, which researchers attributed to lutein’s photoprotective and antioxidant properties. Astaxanthin is a skin loving algae.
- Vitamin C & E Two of nature’s most powerful antioxidants to help rejuvenate aging skin. Healthy skin also requires large amounts of vitamin C, an essential antioxidant vitamin which is necessary for making collagen and for providing oxidative protection to skin cells. Vitamin C concentrates in the skin and research has found that those with aged and sun-damaged skin have diminished vitamin C levels in the epidermis. A number of studies have shown that supplementation with vitamin C improves resistance to UV damage (especially when combined with vitamin E, another antioxidant vitamin), reduces wrinkle depth, increases collagen production, and improves skin texture. A vitamin-C rich diet has also been found to decrease wrinkles, sagginess, and hyperpigmentation caused by oxidative damage from UV exposure and smoking. Vitamin C is needed for collagen. A vitamin C deficiency can result in your skin becoming thinner and weaker, which can mean more visible wrinkles, sun spots and blemishes. From the stimulation of collagen growth, to invaluable protection from the sun, and the promotion of wound healing, there are a multitude of benefits to be had by incorporating more vitamin C into your diet. A diet rich in vitamin C offers many health benefits, and noticeably glowing, healthy skin is just one of them. Vitamin C Serum Benefits: Skin Hydration, Brightening, Elasticity & More Vitamin C Eye Cream is a Powerful Anti-Aging Tool Aim for 1,000 to 2,000 mg per day of vitamin C in divided doses and 400 IU of vitamin E.
- Vitamin A boosts collagen formation, keeps skin firm and springy, which helps erase wrinkles. Pharmacist recommended 5000 IU a day, unless taking a drug mugger like a fat blocking supplement or drug, acid reducing meds or mineral oil. Vitamin A reduces acid levels in collagen to improve elasticity, tone and texture, resulting in a radiant complexion. Peaches are packed with Vitamin A.
- Nicotinamide is a derivative of Vitamin B3 (Niacin) helps retain moisture, leaving it softer, smoother and with fewer lines.
- Niacinamide, a water-soluble amide form of niacin or vitamin B3 found in many foods including yeast, meat, fish, milk,poultry, eggs, green vegetables, beans, and cereal grains is also found in many vitamin B complex supplements with other B vitamins. It can also be formed in the body from dietary niacin. It helps lighten skin when applied with moisturize and also curbs inflammation. It could be a treatment for acne, rosacea and conditions that cause blistering. Niacinamide can quickly reduce excessive pigmentation (blotchiness) in aging human skin cells, stimulate more production of the natural skin hydrating agent hyaluronic acid, increase ceramide levels in the skin, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and increase collagen formation. Dr Jonathan V. Wright says you can get it at a health food store and it isn’t expensive. .In a recent study, a skin cream that combined niacinamide cream with N-acetyl glucosamine cream was found to reduce pre-existing blotchiness even better than niacinamide alone, while also protecting against UV radiation, as well as an SPF 15 sunscreen (February 2010, British Journal of Dermatology). Taking niacinamide, (which is NOT niacin) can also provide relief of osteoarthritis in three weeks.
- Omega 3 – salmon, sardines and mackerel and Omega 3 supplements help keep skin youthful.
- Sea buckhorn found in skin creams in drugstores and health food stores stimulates skin cell renewal and protects against sun damage–due to cell healing antioxidants.
- Melatonin cream- Replenish your skin to regain the glow of youth. Blend of natural skin rejuvenators and essential beauty factors for supple firm radiant skin. Helps you maintain that youthful, energized and radiant look at any age. It counters unsightly creases furrows and dark circles that can add years to your appearance. It contains: MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) a unique efficient source of the sulfur that is used by many of the body’s molecules easily penetrates the skins cell membranes.
- Tea extracts– high grade compounds derived form white, green, black and red tea to help offset visible aging effects associated with oxidative stress.
A healthy diet plays an essential role in healthy skin—research has even found that people who eat more antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables have a healthy glow.
Vitamin C is particularly effective at reducing oxidative damage to the skin when used in conjunction with vitamin E. Leafy greens are a great source of both vitamins. Higher intakes of vitamin C and linoleic acid (found in walnuts and other nuts) is also associated with better skin aging, as the latter plays a role in fighting skin dryness and atrophy.
Vitamin C is integral to the health and beauty of skin, so adding this vital nutrient to your diet is essential, as you body can’t produce it on its own.
Dietary vitamin C can complement the use of topical vitamin C creams and serums.
Eating a diet rich in vitamin C can replenish your skin from within and maintain a youthful appearance. Vitamin C’s role in skin health lies in its powerful antioxidant qualities, its ability to fight free radical damage caused by exposure to UV rays and its stimulation of collagen production.
Benefits of a vitamin C-rich diet – is particularly important. Its benefits extend far beyond the immune-boosting properties Prevents sun damage-When exposed to UV light, free radicals can attack your skin’s collagen, leading to wrinkles, sun spots and even cancer. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that acts to neutralize and minimize the effects of free radicals.
Maintains skin firmness and texture -Along with minimizing the appearance of fine lines, vitamin C also helps to smooth and firm the surface of the skin by activating cells, called fibroblasts, which stimulate new collagen. A diet rich in vitamin C is associated with improved skin elasticity, fewer wrinkles and a softer, more even skin tone.
Promotes skin healing-Vitamin C plays a role in the formation of keratinocytes—cells needed to close up a wound, so a vitamin C-rich diet may facilitate the healing of cuts, burns and other injuries that lead to scar tissue. Not consuming enough vitamin C has been shown to cause scurvy, a disease characterized by skin fragility, lesions and slow wound healing.
Vitamin C is water-soluble, which means it’s readily eliminated by your body. In order to benefit from its potency, it’s therefore important to eat vitamin C rich foods regularly.
5 Vitamin C-rich foods into your diet for healthier skin:
- Citrus fruits: oranges, grapefruit, mandarins, limes and lemons are all great sources of vitamin C.
- Leafy greens: Kale, spinach, and chard are an excellent source of vitamin C when steamed or lightly sauteed.
- Bell peppers: Yellow peppers boast the most vitamin C, then red, followed by green. (Bell pepper salad- Chop and toss yellow, red, and green bell peppers together with minced red onion, olive oil, a dash of apple cider vinegar and black pepper for a vitamin C-rich salad.)
- Strawberries: In addition to being a good source of vitamin C, strawberries are a potent antioxidant that may be good for heart and brain health.
- Papayas: One cup (145 grams) of papaya provides 87 mg of vitamin C, or 97% of the amount of vitamin C required per day. (smoothie- Blend fresh cantaloupe, orange chunks, carrot juice and a handful of spinach for a smoothie containing high amount of both vitamins C and A.)
- For Silky Skin-white ginger (what Hawaiian leis are made from) calms the mind and soothes skin
- For clear skin– garlic is known to clear acne. Simply rub a thin slice on a pimple before bed. B vitamins, zinc, E and C can improve skin condition by fighting breakouts. Plus add 1mg to 2 mg of copper to avoid a copper deficiency. (Copper deficiency: fatigue, paleness, frequent infections, neurologic deficits, and bone and cardiovascular issues. Learn more about copper here including copper foods.
- For radiant skin– cleanser. Blend together 1/4 c. raw honey (health food stores) 1 tablespoon liquid soap and 1/2 c. glycerine in a bowl. Gently rub onto face with a clean soft cloth, wash away with warm water and pat dry. Pour remaining cleanser into a clean plastic bottle an store in fridge.
TO HELP WITH THAT CREPEY, SAGGY SKIN
- Dermarolling (watch video)
- Nivea CoQ10 cream for skin firming and toning
- Glytone Exfoliating – use in morning. Good for hands. Don’t overdo it.
Collagen, essential for skin elasticity and firmness, and for fending off wrinkles, depletes with age or other stress factors. Oil glands become less active and collagen and elastic tissues are less adept at repairing themselves. These changes cause signs of skin aging:
- loss of collagen (wrinkles)
- dull skin
- dry skin
- sagging skin
- uneven skin tone (pigmentation).
To reverse changes or slow progress- retinoids fight against collagen loss by rebuilding new collagen. There are only a few ingredients that can penetrate deep enough into the skin to cause the fibroblast cells in the skin to produce new collagen and affect cellular change. This is an absolute “must have” in your routine.
Retinol nigh cream helps stimulate skin cell turnover and collagen production.
Important note: Although MAKEUP ARTISTS CLAIM THE WALMART BRAND (Equate Beauty Collagen Moisturizer Day/Night Cream, 1.7 oz $3.93/ea (in 2022) TO BE AS GOOD AS THE MORE EXPENSIVE BRANDS OF COLLAGEN MOISTURIZER… a dermatologist who says a collagen cream is not the same as a Retinoid cream , as a collagen cream can’t penetrate into the dermis layer of the skin to replace lost collagen. The collagen molecule when applied topically is too big to get down into the dermis, even if it makes the skin feel great and hydrated. (She recommends using a retinoid product, not a collagen cream, but cautioned that that retinols can cause skin cancer in some people.)
Topical Vitamin A products suggested by dermatologist
- Cerave Resurfacing Retinol
- Avene Retrinal is a step above Retinol. ( You can start with the day cream and move to 0.05 and then 0.1 intensive cream. This is a retinaldehyde so requires a conversion
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair (fragrance free) For dry and sensitive skin or if you have never tried a retinoid before start with Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair- fragrance free. Very moisturizing so you don’t really need another with it. Use it on your neck, hands, fact to rebuild collagen and decrease wrinkles.
- Adapalene (Differin) is the best choice because it is the most active. Studies show it is helpful in wrinkle and fine lines. It is prescription strength but doesn’t require a prescription . It requires no conversion like the others.
- The Renova® brand of tretinoin is the most potent. It is used to reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles and mottled skin discoloration, and to make rough facial skin feel smoother.
- Retin-A® and Avita® brands of tretinoin are used to treat acne. Retin A makes skin extra sensitive. Research reveals smoothing on before bed it can work repairing skin at night, then wash your face in the morning to reduce any risk of sun damage.
But first, see side effects here: https://www.drugs.com/mtm/tretinoin.html
2012 A new medical study suggests that side effects of Acutane and Retin–A, both acne drugs, may cause a worsening of the digestive disorder known as celiac disease. Accutane Side Effects Could Worsen Celiac Disease: Study
- Shea butter is good and inexpensive
- 360 Beauty lotion or cream (found at CVS)
- How to fix uneven eyes
- how to apply eye shadow on older eyes
- Eyeliner tips for mature eyes
- Under eye before concealor (use peach) 10:54 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc
HOODED (DROOPING, SAGGING) EYE LID HELP
- Hooded, down-turned or aging eyes-New technique favorite way to cut in crease for hooded eyes
- Hooded eyes
- hooded eyes help by Dominique Sachse
- for those over 60 (nice color of shadow at beginning of video)
- Oculoplastic surgery
EYEBROWS Pencil thin, overly-plucked eyebrows makes a person look older and outdated. In 2022, to achieve the more natural, thicker , face-framing eyebrows that’s popular, the option is to fill them. Tricks for getting the perfect eyebrow shape and color that will help your eyebrows look natural, include using mascara, a pencil, or pomade.
- In 2020, a friend with gorgeous eyebrows shared her secret. She gets them dyed by Nova at the Admiral Beauty Supply at 91st and Sheridan in Tulsa, OK for $15, when according to her, some places charge $50 to dye them!
- Eyebrow Template Shaping-Kit-8-Styles
Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Gel – Mini 524 ($9.00 found at Sephora or $20 on Amazon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc at 7:04 Revlon Color Stay pencil- For blondes they have blonde and a darker blonde shade
Nyx Queen palette is less expensive than Too Faced Sweet Peach (Look for Nyx at Ulta, Drug store or Nyx’s website.)
LOWER LASHES HACK: (Start at 8:20)
More from Nikol Johnson here
TIPS FROM OTHER PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP ARTISTS
- Apply makeup like a celebrity makeup artist
- 14 exclusive makeup tips for older women from a professional makeup artist
- Pro Makeup Artist Shares Her Everyday Makeup Routine Secrets
- 60 Years Beautiful: Natural Makeup How To for Mature Women: Everyday Makeup Tutorial To Look More awake and color in the watermark for eyes Men can use this pomade, too.
- How to do Makeup on Women over 60 Makeup Tutorial
- CLASSIC EVERYDAY MAKEUP with Style At A Certain Age | 60’S EDITION
- Photos and Makeup Tips for Mature Women over 50 and 60!
- Makeup artist shares a secret: She likes this $5.49 makeup over the $150 Chanel makeup (Spoiler: Wet and Wild Focus Dewy Foundation)
- Makeup artist shares $5 concealer that really works (Spoiler: Wet and Wild Incognito Concealer)
- Drugstore Concealer with 90K 5-STAR Reviews (Spoiler: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer)
- Covergirl TruBlend undercover concealor is a very good dupe Anastasia Magic Touch Concealer (a creamy high coverage concealer)
- Real makeup for women over 60
- makeup for older women the best online video tutorials-seniorplanet.org
- best makeup for older women -townandcountrymag.com
- Mature Skin- Makeup to look younger
- Best Face lifting Techniques
- Best makeup tips for older women- prevention.com
- Applying makeup for women over 60
- Beverlyhillsmd.com- makeup tips women age 60
- How to apply makeup for a 60-year-old
- Natural makeup tutorial over 50
- Makeup Tutorial for Ladies in their 70s
- Makeup for mature skin/women over 60/tricks & tips!
- 5-makeup-tips-for-older-women 1. Use Cream-based Cosmetics on your face (not powder-based). Powder adds texture to skin that already has developed texture. 2. Find a tone of lipstick that matches your inner lip or gums. 3. Don’t recreate the brows you had in your 20s. Women older than 50 tend to lose definition in their eyebrows. 4. ….. Click link to read the rest
- Lip hack technique
- how to fake big lips
- Fake lip fillers
- Happy looking lips
- Lip Lift
- To keep your mouth from looking downturned (Maybelline lip crayon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc at 15:18
LIPSTICK AND LIP GLOSS- Drugstore Dupes That Rival High End Products!
- L’oreal “Nude Heaven” same color as expensive Gucci “Sally Soft Honey” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK0v6ptyI0 at 2:37 (and lipliner to go with it: Charlotte Tilbury lip liner – Essence “Because Duh” is cheaper and longer wearing)
- Charlotte Tilbury lipstick “Cat walking” is almost identical to inexpensive Milani “Pleasure” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK0v6ptyI0 at 4:01 (color, feel and finish)
- Lipgloss NYX “Bit of Honey” is less expensive than “Nars Chelsea Girls” which runs $26
- L’Oreal Four in One Age Perfect Intensive Balm watch starting at 9:15
- (Two makeup artists said Wet and Wild foundation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37HVcFyTGRI at 15:33 and Wet and Wild Photo Focus Foundation Dewy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHBrWWfWwY
- Milani Conceal and Protect is her favorite of all time from the drugstore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJP7nOxemr4
- L’Oreal Infallible Matte-lock is less expensive than the Mac Studio- Mattifix 12 hour shine control primer
- Revlon “Apricute less expensive yet is same shade and finish as Nars “Dolce Vita”
- Sheglam “Love cake” liquid blush at $5 is less expensive but same as expensive Rare beauty “Hope” (You have to order Sheglam on line.)
- cream blush is great for those with mature skin. She uses Covergirl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3k51Xznxc The secret to getting a fresh-faced vibrant look is to apply a little bit of blush to the cheeks or opt for browner for a sun-kissed glow
- People with a warm skin tone have veins that appear green or greenish-blue and look better in reds, corals, golds, oranges, peaches and yellows. They should avoid jewel and icy tones.
- People with a cool skin tone have veins that appear purple or blue. Cooler skin tones look better in blues, reds, purples, and pinks. Colors to avoid are oranges, reds, and yellows.
- If the color of your veins is indistinguishable, most likely, your skin tone is neutral so you’re a mixture warm and cool.
Fake nails and bold or dark polish like burgundy, navy, forest green, and dark purple draw attention to your hands, which show age as you get older. For a more classic look, lighter colors in nudes and light pinks will better against more mature skin and they’ll match most of your outfits.
HAIR- In 2022 side parts are out and middle parts are in!
GUA SHA for Tension, Puffiness, and Lymphatic Drainage (google it)
Trends- Trying too hard to be on top of the latest trends in makeup or clothing can make one appear older.
- Pants that have stretchy waists and anything with pleats and boxy shapes. (Those that are more tailored to your body will look better.
- Wearing all black which can make you appear older. However, it’s super slimming and can make your look elegant and expensive when you mix different fabrics like leather and silk with cotton or lace or break the outfit up with a statement belt or a fun, colorful piece of jewelry.
- “Old Lady” Handbags- oversized designer handbags (Coach, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Dooney & Bourke ) with huge logos are out. Smaller purses and clutches are available in all sorts of fun shapes and colors—to match all of your outfits. Leather totes and backpacks are also in.
- Overalls- Nope, just nope. Shapeless, they don’t do your body any favors at any age. A great pair of well-fitted jeans are a better option and go with much more in your wardrobe.
- Short Skirts-Even if your legs are amazing, it’s better to stick with hems that stop a little bit above the knee.
- Baggy pieces can overwhelm your frame and look frumpy. When wearing a baggy piece of clothing, balance it out with a tighter one. Example: if you’re wearing a loose tunic, pair it with skinny or straight-leg jeans and if you’re wearing wide-leg trousers, wear a tighter top to balance the overall look.
- Belts are a great way to show off the tiniest part of the body, which is the waist. Belts instantly make any outfit look put together and will highlight your figure in all of the right ways. Add interest to our outfits with statement belts.
- Shoes– heels make any outfit look chicer and they elevate a look, elongating your legs and making you look younger. Kitten heels are back in style in 2022.
- Boots with thick, short heels never seem to go out of fashion.
- Tailored, well-fitted suit in your wardrobe will instantly make you look professional and sophisticated. Instead of tweed, look for suits in solid colors or pinstripes.
Still working on these:
- Lots more here: