That “fishy smell” may be something as simple as a 100-watt light bulb in a 75-watt socket causing an electrical overload. The insulation around the light fixture or plastic components in outlets, switches and light fixtures overheating will throw off that odor.
If you smell it at night, when it is getting dark and lights are turned on, that is your clue to check:
- all light fixtures/lamps fittings and sockets, especially those with plastic light covers and light fixtures resting flush against the ceiling, hanging lamps, chandeliers, ceiling fans
- switches, including dimmer switches and electrical wall outlets, may draw too much electricity causing plastic to melt and/or the outlet to smoke. (A wire in the wall switch might have come loose or plastic coating on the wiring might have broken down. A loose wire can arc and start fires.)
- extension cord with too many devices plugged into it can cause overheating.
- an appliance plugged into a faulty socket will trigger the smell when you turn it on-television, oven, lamp, vacuum cleaner, heaters, including space heater, and dryer.
Note: The smell may not show up right away when something is turned on. Strangely it might not even stink in, or near, the room where the problem is. The smell may appear to come from a corner near the floor where the air circulates least causing the smell to gather there. (Be sure to also look in area of the hot water tank.)
The following are short posts, related to this post. It is a good idea to read them and share them.
- WHAT IS THAT NASTY FISHY SMELL?
- FORMALDEHYDE IS IN MANY THINGS YOU DON’T EXPECT
- FORMALDEHYDE- SYMPTOMS
- WHY IS IT SO DANGEROUS TO IGNORE THE “FISHY” SMELL?
- WHO YOU GONNA CALL IF YOU SMELL A FISHY SMELL?
Some of the words readers have searched to land on this page include: fish electrics multifuel causes stove odour smells wierd weird ripe rotten strange danger dangerous stinky gross odor stench putrid vile rude space heater bedroom house home wall ceiling television sex awful snake spoiled vomit rotten potatoes, rotten onions, tmau faulty wiring dirty light vulgar fittings fixture smell burning bakelite electrical electric electricity apartment trailer woman mobile home problem what causes repulsive apartment rotten tuna strong alarm battery, dead mouse girl mice rat moisture foul bathroom stink stench scent disagreeable, squirrel, urine fault new house cat kitten plumbing sewer gas fridge refrigerator