Crime, the inevitable result of disorder is contagious, starting with a broken window or one dark street in your neighborhood and spreading to an entire community.
An area with broken or boarded up windows, graffiti, dark and littered streets, ignoring city codes, such as high grass in yards and growing down into the street, cars parked heading in the wrong direction, dogs off leash. etc. sends the message to criminals that the residents of your area don’t care about the safety of their neighbors. The appearance that no one is going to call the police or report code violations makes the neighborhood a prime location for criminal activity.
CITY CODE VIOLATIONS MAKE A NEIGHBORHOOD LOOK RUN DOWN, REDUCING PROPERTY VALUES AND INVITING CRIME AND VIOLENCE!
That is the reason that there are city codes (with fines) that limit the time you can park on the street, unload your RV or boat in your driveway, leave a non-running car in your drive, leave your trash or recycle bins out, etc.
Developments decline & property values fall as much as 20% for the entire area when code violations are not corrected. Trash in a neighborhood can reduce area property values by 14.5%, according to studies, referenced on the City of Tulsa website.
Each of us must be PROactive in reporting code violations, to keep our area from becoming crime ridden! It is up to each and every one of us, to report violations immediately, holding every resident accountable, in order to keep our family safe! Don’t let things get out of control by expecting someone else to report it. Police tell us that is how it has gotten out of control in crime-ridden areas.
THE SMALLEST VIOLATION, ALLOWED TO CONTINUE, CAN START A SNOWBALL OF CRIME.
Report problems in your neighborhood by calling 311 or online
GRASS, WEEDS, TREES
- Grass, Weeds, Trees, Overgrowth
- Leaving grass clippings in the street
- Tree limbs hanging over a public street or that could fall
- Trees or shrubs obstructing drivers view
- Trash and junk in the yard
- Trash & recycle bins must be closed down completely. The lid opening (not the handle) must face the street.
- Leaving trash or recycle bins out after midnight on trash pick up day
- Breeding mosquitoes, vermin and flies on ones property
- Parking in yard or any surface other than all-weather material.
- Parking on the wrong side of the street
- Parking a commercial truck in the neighborhood
- Parking on the street, over 24 hour time limit
- RV or boat in the driveway or on the street
- Non-running car in the drive.
- Jay Parking (Parking on the wrong side of the street)
POLLUTING THE CREEKS
- Ignoring leash laws
- Failure to clean up pets excreta
- Dog barking
- Unsanitary conditions or surroundings for pets
- Dangerous animals
PLAYING OR RIDING BIKES IN THE STREET, NOISE
- Playing in street-shooting hoops, skating, skateboarding, scooters, etc.
- Failure to follow bicycle rules.
- Disturbing the peace: Noises, sounds or vibrations
ATTEMPTING TO OPERATE A BUSINESS IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA
- Operating a business in a residential area
- Noises, sounds or vibrations
- Prohibited Advertising Signs
- Parking a commercial truck or trailer in neighborhood is prohibited.
REPORT THESE WHEN YOU SEE THEM
- Pools or Vessels of stagnant water
- Vacant, Unsecured Houses
- Dark streets
- Suspected Drug activity
- Neighbor draining swimming pool in yard, creek or stream
- Leaving grass clippings in the street
MAKE YOUR AREA MORE BEAUTIFUL
- Screening between apartment building & Residential single family district
- Fence too high
- Possible Drug activity
- UP WITH TREES
We are all paying good money each month for our home so of course we’d would like to get as much as possible for it, when we sell. If we let our area get run down by not reporting things and it gets trashy then we have only our own lazy ass to blame.
Hope everyone understands that we all MUST do our part to protect our family and not wait on someone else to do something…because sometimes everyone is waiting for that someone else and it never gets taken care of.
Don’t ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet.